Instruction and assessment go hand in hand. One cannot exist without the other. Assessments guide your instruction, and instruction will change based on formal and informal assessments. I have changed my instruction mid-lesson based on informal assessments of my students. Without assessment you cannot properly instruct. It is vital to know what your students understand, so you can challenge them or adjust for lack of understanding.
I assess my students in many ways including:
- Formal assessements such as pre and post tests, unit tests and quizzes.
- Conferencing
- Round Robin questioning
- Exit Slips
- Questioning mid-lesson
These assessments help me plan more effectively, and the data I collect gives me an insight into each individual student's strengths and weaknesses.
How does the Round Robin questioning work? I would like to try some unique forms of assessment for my students. Now that the math exam is over I want to be more creative and look at what works well.
ReplyDelete