Friday, February 27, 2009

What Makes a Good Activity

What makes a good activity? This is something I ask myself every day! I try to make my activities fun, effective, and challenging. With some topics, this is easier than others!


For my curriculum web, I have chosen to focus on 7th grade pre-march geometry standards. This topic is ideal for hands-on and internet activities. The following are some internet activities and the standards they would be reinforcing:

6.G.11 Calculate the area of basic polygons drawn on a coordinate plane (rectangles and shapes composed of rectangles having sides with integer lengths)
http://www.shodor.org/interactivate/activities/ShapeBuilder/

7.G.1. Calculate the radius or diameter, given the circumference or area of a circle
http://illuminations.nctm.org/ActivityDetail.aspx?ID=116

7.G.2 Calculate the volume of prisms and cylinders, using a given formula and a calculator
http://illuminations.nctm.org/ActivityDetail.aspx?ID=6

7.G.4 Determine the surface area of prisms and cylinders, using a calculator and a variety of methods
http://www.shodor.org/interactivate/activities/surfaceareaandvolume/

7.G.3 Identify the two-dimensional shapes that make up the faces and bases of three-dimensional shapes (prisms, cylinders, cones, and pyramids)
http://illuminations.nctm.org/ActivityDetail.aspx?ID=70

No comments:

Post a Comment