To me, an effective web site starts with the appearance. Whenever I find a site, if there are a ton of ads, I immediately question the site's credibility. Also, if it does not look well kept, I will also skip over it. The first thing I look at is definitely the site's appearance and if it looks easy to navigate or not.
Next I will look at content. Where is the content coming from? Who is the author of the site? These are important things. When creating my own web site, it will be clear who I am and why I started the site. This helps visitors know how to view the material. A good web site should also have a clear purpose. What information can you get from the site? This should be clear and present as well, with helpful links and navigation bars. If you have to search for the information it is probably not well organized!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Meridith, you make a good point about websites being clear and easy to use. i am quickly turned away from sites that make me click one after another to get to the main topic I was searching for. I also dislike it when I search for a topic but the metatags are misleading and I am taken to an unrealted topic.
ReplyDeleteWhen I go to a website and can find the information I need in one or two clicks, I tend to remember it and go back there for future reference. These are usually sites that are well maintained with working links. Nothing infuriates me more than a link not working either because it is an outdated fiel or has a typo in the link itself.
I definetly agree with Anna in that if a website is hard to navigate then I will skip over it. This is my main reason why I hate to use the internet. That is something that I definetly will take into account when creating my website.
ReplyDeleteI also agree that the website should have a purpose and that purpose should be known right from the start. My website's fisrt page is just an introduction to what will be happening on my website and on each page.