Part of today's discussion was on the importance of evaluating web sites. I never really thought about investigating who wrote the web site, if they have a biography, when the site was last updated, etc. I will definitely be more aware now of who is providing the information I am reading.
I think this topic is also important for the kids to understand. They are online a lot, and are less critical of the sites they visit. I am more aware and more suspicious of the internet as it has not always been a part of my life. When I did research elementary through middle school, I used encylopedias, not the internet. They have grown up with this technology and are much more trusting than I am.
If I were to do a web-based lesson or research project, my first step would be to teach them how to evaluate a web site for validity, and would require them to prove this validity if the site is used.
With this in mind...I better put up my biography - or else why should you believe what I say?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment