Thursday, May 7, 2009

Factors that Will Impact Using Curriculum Webs in School

As we learn more about Curriculum Webs and we start to put ours together, there are some "factors" that may hinder the use of these tools in the classroom.

Let's start with something I know I have mentioned before - accessibility. In my experiences, Internet is not a guarantee, it is a luxury! It is finicky in my school at best, and its mood swings could easily ruin a lesson or intentions on using a Curriculum Web. Then, if you can access it in the schools, are the kids computer-savvy enough to use it? I assigned my after school students to look up information about Pi online, and they really struggled. They did not know how to search, what sites to go to, where to find information.

So let's just say your students are internet savvy, you have full access to the internet in your room and everything is going great. What happens when they go home? Do they have a home? I know some of my students have a new one each month. They may not be able to access the web at home, which would again prevent the effective use of a Curriculum Web.

Now, this blog is not to say that there is no positives to Curriculum Webs! They are a great tool and great motivation for students, but its effectiveness will depend on many, many things.

No comments:

Post a Comment